Karachi: Naegleria fowleri, commonly known as the ‘brain-eating’ amoeba, claimed life of youngster in a public sector hospital of Karachi, Jinnah Postgraduate Medical Centre (JPMC) on Wednesday.
28-year-old Muzmal was a resident of Defense Phase 4 who took visited the swimming pool a few days ago from where he contracted Naegleria. He has died during treatment at JPMC.
The JPMC administration confirmed the death of Muzamil due to Naegleria and added that he was brought in hospital with high fever few days ago.
Family sources said, Muzmal took a bath in a private swimming pool a few days ago, after which he developed fever, vomiting, severe headache, and drowsiness. He was shifted to Jinnah Hospital where he was undergoing treatment.