National News

‘Four more coronavirus suspects test negative’

KARACHI: Sindh Chief Minister, Syed Murad Ali Shah, recently noted that a batch of 300 pilgrims were en route from Taftan to Jacobabad, and a second batch will be leaving shortly. All of the pilgrims will be quarantined in Sukkur.

This was disclosed in the meeting of the 10th Taskforce on Coronavirus held under the chairmanship of the Sindh Chief Minister.

The meeting was attended by provincial ministers, Dr Azra Pechuho, Syed Nasir Shah, and Murtaza Wahab, Chief Secretary, Mumtaz Shah, IG Sindh, Mushtaq Maher, Commissioner Karachi, Iftikhar Shahalwani, Additional IGP Karachi, Ghulam Nabi Memon, Additional Chief Secretary Home, Usman Chachar, Secretary Finance, Hassan Naqvi, Secretary Health, Zahid Abbasi, Secretary Works, Imran Atta Soomro, DG PDMA, Salman Shah, DG Surveillance, Dr Ashfaq Memon, Dr Faisal Mehmood of the Aga Khan University, Dr Pawan of the CAA, Lt Col Saad of the 5 Corps, Dr Akhtar Aziz of the Indus Hospital, Dr Sara of the WHO, Col Hafeez of the Rangers, Abdul Rauf of the FIA, and Commissioner Sukkur, Shafiq Mahesar, and his team joined the meeting via video link.

Secretary Health, Dr Zahid Abbasi, told the Chief Minister that he had sent four samples for coronavirus testing, and all of them tested negative. The suspects hailed from the areas of Karsaz, Old Sabzi Mandi, District East, respectively.

The first patient has recovered completely and has been discharged from the hospital while two other patients are also recovering fast.

The Chief Minister noted that the Sindh government had conducted 100 tests to date out of which 97 tested negative while three tested positive. One of the patients who tested positive has been cured and released from the hospital.

The meeting was informed that 282 pilgrims who returned from Iran had been quarantined in their homes. Their concerned team of doctors will regularly follow up with them during this time.

The Chief Minister was informed that arrangements had been made for the arriving pilgrims and their accommodation in Sukkur. The Commissioner Sukkur, who joined the meeting via video link, briefed the Chief Minister about the arrangements.

The Chief Minister directed the Commissioner to make the best living arrangements for them. “I want you to keep them happy and content,” he said.

The Commissioner ensured the provision of all facilities, including cleanliness, timely meals, etc.

The Chief Minister also directed the DHO Sukkur and his team to ensure the proper checking of the arriving pilgrims. He directed them to take samples of the suspects regularly and send them to the AKUH for lab testing.

The Commissioner said that he had made the accommodation arrangements for 500 pilgrims in Sukkur, and arrangements for another 300 would be made shortly.

DG, PDMA, Salman Shah, told the meeting that he has already sent beds, cushions, bedsheets, and necessary utensils to Sukkur for the pilgrims to use.

The WHO’s representatives suggested that a counselor is also be arranged for the counseling of the suspects at the Sukkur camp.

The Chief Minister also directed airport authorities to check the travelers coming from Italy and Korea at the airport and share their reports with the Health Department.

The Chief Minister said that in Iran, a 1000 new cases of coronavirus had emerged, which was alarming for us as well. ‘The precautionary measures advised to the people of Sindh must be continued,” he concluded.

-MN Report

March 10, 2020

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Medical News is the only periodical in Pakistan which has 3 simultaneous editions from Karachi, Islamabad and online.

Latest E-Paper
Like Us On Facebook
For Subscription