Karachi: A 24 year old resident of Orangi Town who was admitted to the Jinnah Postgraduate Medical Centre on Sunday passed away yesterday with Naegleria fowleri, also known as the brain eating amoeba.
According to the doctors at JPMC, Mohammad, a tailor by profession, was admitted to the neurology department with symptoms of the disease and died on Monday. He was initially admitted to a local private hospital that had given him a confirmed diagnosis of Naegleria, but since he could not afford treatment there, his family had brought him to JPMC instead.
Sources have confirmed that this was the 12th life claimed by the disease in Karachi. The Government and concerned health departments must issue warnings and raise awareness regarding Naegleria to prevent more fatalities. The protist is generally found in warm bodies of water and it is essential for everyone to take all possible safety measures.