The Pakistan Nutrition and Dietetic Society (PNDS) celebrated ‘March Nutrition Month’ and the theme for this year was; “Enjoy the taste of eating right” by combining taste and nutrition to create healthy meals. This year two major activities were organized by PNDS to commemorate March Nutrition Month and Registered Dietitians Nutritionist Day during the month of March:
- Publication of Nutrition supplement, an educational material was distributed in the local communities and public at large. This supplement included articles on topics that highlight the importance of a healthier diet and lifestyle, written by PNDS experts & members.
- Educational activities in different schools of Karachi were held with a focus on school canteens. Based on the needs assessment of individual schools, various activities were planned. The School authorities, teachers, and canteen staff were involved in the discussion on how to develop healthy eating and life style behaviors among school children and how the school canteens can provide healthy and affordable snacks for the students. Executive committee members conducted the sessions. Fayza Khan – MSC (Foods & Nutrition), RD and the President of Pakistan Nutrition and Dietetic Society stated that; Altogether 1200-1400 school children were covered through the sessions at the followings schools.
- Saima Rasheed & Rumella Masood: “Dawood Public School”
- Sabeen Siddiqui & Rabea Khan: “Mama Parsi School”
- Maryam Arif and Fayza Khan: “Ayesha Bawani Academy” for both girls and boys .
- Rabia Anwer and Iffat Naz : “Avecena School”.
- Rumella Masood : “The Play School” for boys and girls, “V.M public School”