Pakistan Medical Association (PMA) has congratulated the Health Minister for announcing the PMDC ordinance 2014, promulgated by the Honorable President of Pakistan. Through this ordinance the Executive Committee of PMDC stands dissolved including its President and Vice President and will be replaced by a seven member Executive Committee to run the affairs of the Regulatory Body.
It is a well known fact that for the last couple of years the affairs of PMDC were managed by a vested interest group. Who were involved in corruption, embezzlement, misappropriation, nepotism, mismanagement and looking after, their own interest? They were flouting the rules and regulations with impunity and not paying any heed to the litigation going on against them across the country.
The members of the previous Executive Committee, who were in the interim set-up took permanent seats through an illegal elections in April 2013. Since then they were taking vital decisions and implementing them to harm the entire medical education in the country.
PMA was raising its voice at every forum and showing its concerns regarding the deteriorating situation of the medical education in the country and ongoing corruption in the PMDC by this illegal Executive Committee headed by an illegally elected President. The fact of the matter is that the medical education in the country is reached at a brink of collapse.
PMA welcomes this ordinance and reiterates its demands that the newly appointed seven members committee should follow the recommendations agreed upon in a meeting with the Honorable Minister and all the Stakeholders, including PMA, CPSP, YDA and the ministry of NHS on 3rd December 2013, and recommendations of the standing committee of National Assembly on 28th February 2013.
- The interim committee shall have powers of Administrative and Financial nature but not of regulatory affairs and shall act as a election commission for conducting the election of council members.
- Members of interim committee / election commission should not have any conflict of interest and shall not be allowed to contest the forthcoming elections or support any candidate.
- Once the newly elected council of PMDC with its office bearers is duly notified by the government of Pakistan, interim committee shall cease to function.
- All decisions of the previous Executive Committee taken during the transitory period starting with effect from promulgation of PMDC act 2012 from 12th August 2012 to date, shall stands cancelled.
- In order to ensure the efficient functioning of the council, the membership of the council should not exceed 30 members including 5 nominated members.
PMA has demanded that according to the recommendations of the ordinance the corruption, embezzlement and misappropriation should be investigated by the NAB and the culprits should be brought to justice.